Pages

Tuesday, November 6, 2012

iPad Mini vs. Nexus 7 Review: Speed Tests, Gaming, Hardware

TomNovember 2, 2012
Following up my iPad Mini coverage, I thought it would be apt to compare Apple’s newest tablet to one of the sole reasons it was released: the Nexus 7. Google’s first branded tablet, it stole a significant market share from Apple, hence why they felt the need to retaliate with the new Mini. This being said though, Apple didn’t drop their price premium for the iPad Mini and it comes in at $329 compared to the $199 for the Nexus 6 - so bare that in mind throughout this comparison.

In summary, if you’re looking for one of the best value for money tablets on the market, hands down get the Nexus. It’s a really good device, especially for the ridiculously reasonable $199 price point. However with so many of Apple’s products, you pay a premium for the beautiful build quality, fantastic customer service and a fantastic ecosystem. The iPad Mini is no different. If you are an iOS fan, and have the $128 extra, I’d whole heartedly reccommend the iPad Mini. It’s the better product for my needs, and I’m an absolute hardware geek, so I just can’t get enough of the anodised aluminium back.
It’s also worth noting that the display on the Mini isn’t up to Apple’s normal high standards. The saturation and hues are all excellent, and the black levels are consistent with that of the iPhone 5 – however the pixel density only equates to 163 PPI, as opposed to the Nexus 7′s 216. The images below depict this situation more effectively. For me it’s not a huge issue, however if you’re a real pixel hater, as I know so many people are, it may sway your decision.
Be sure to stay tuned to JBN for lots more coverage on the iPad Mini, as well as my full review once I have had a decent enough time to get to grips with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment